The Ship Street Centre
In 2008, the College was extremely fortunate to acquire a lease on a Victorian warehouse in Ship Street, just opposite the entrance to the College’s third quad. It gave the College a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to expand on its historic site.
The Ship Street Centre
- provides additional, accessible, affordable, high-quality student accommodation, consisting of 31 en-suite rooms, increasing the College’s central accommodation by 30%.
- provides additional teaching/meeting facilities. These facilities include a 100-seat lecture theatre, two tutorial rooms and a reception area.
- provides a modern, centrally-located conference facility, which is both an attractive venue and a valuable source of income during vacations.
The £7.3million project to develop the building gives the College a much needed expansion of its central student accommodation and teaching space. The College has raised £1.8million towards the project so far and aims to raise the total £7.3million over the next 25 years.
Therefore, the College needs the help of as many people as possible, and we hope that Old Members and others will want to play a role in this exciting development. By supporting this appeal you are making a long-term investment in education at Jesus College in an uncertain and increasingly competitive financial and educational environment.
Why This Project Deserves Support
- The Ship Street Centre has transformed the central site of Jesus College, effectively creating a fourth quad.
- It is a confident, strategic move, which will benefit future generations of students.
- This is the most significant development of the central site in a generation.
- It has enabled the College to increase its offer to the conference market and create return on investment.
Those Who Will Benefit From This Project
- Over 4,500 undergraduates will benefit by the experience of living and studying at the Ship Street Centre during the building’s150-year lease.
- The increase in onsite accommodation for undergraduates has allowed more rooms to be available to the growing graduate community, helping strengthen their relationship with College and enhance the quality of their experience at Jesus College.
- The academic staff and student communities have more and better quality teaching space, for tutorials, classes and lectures.
- The College will benefit financially from the growing conference market by being able to offer high-quality facilities in central Oxford.
Support the Ship Street Centre Appeal
- Make a donation online.
- Download the Ship Street Centre Appeal brochure and donation form here.
- Purchase a Limited Edition Ship Street Print. All proceeds go to support the Centre Appeal.