We’re now entering an exciting phase of the College’s Northgate House redevelopment on Cornmarket Street as the construction of the new building’s framework begins.
Following the demolition of the existing buildings on site, there’s now no missing the great big hole left behind. Out of this hole, the new Northgate House will emerge phoenix-like over the coming months. A huge tower crane is currently being installed that will enable our construction partners BAM to manoeuvre materials on to and around the site from Cornmarket Street and Market Street to minimise disruption to neighbouring buildings and shops.
Once completed, this landmark building (designed by MICA) will be home to a new College quad, city centre postgraduate accommodation, retail units, a Digital Hub and inspiring, accessible multi-purpose teaching and learning spaces. It will also allow the College to be more outward-looking, enabling the public to access events, exhibitions and public-engagement talks more easily.
“With this new development, we are not just embracing the future of learning: we’re shaping it.”
Sir Nigel Shadbolt FRS FREng, Principal
For our people:
- The new accommodation areas will include 68 new graduate student rooms and four self-contained Fellow’s apartments - providing a city centre home for our graduate students and world-leading researchers.
- The Digital Hub will be an open learning centre equipped with state-of-the-art technology to showcase inter-disciplinary research, performances and lectures.
- A new café and fourth Quad will provide beautiful indoor/outdoor social spaces.
- The multi-purpose teaching and learning spaces will enhance our current provision and provide bright, spacious and contemporary environments for study.
For the public:
- The Tower Gallery will be a new public exhibition space and function room with spectacular views of Oxford’s iconic spires.
- We understand the need to support the regeneration of the city centre, so the College will be investing in the provision of independent retail spaces to boost the local economy and encourage more visitors to this part of Oxford.
- The Digital hub will enable us to expand our educational outreach activities with school pupils of all ages and backgrounds and enable our researchers to reach wider audiences via digital media.
The Northgate project is due for completion in summer 2021, to coincide with the College’s 450th anniversary celebrations. Key to the project has been the most generous donation by Dr Henry Cheng, a non-alumnus who shares a passion for Oxford’s values and our vision for the College.
Get in touch
We always welcome comments and questions about the Northgate House redevelopment. Please get in touch by emailing email@example.com
Update 24/5/2019: Jesus College artwork appears on Northgate hoardings
Update 8/3/2019: Green light for Northgate as last tenants vacate college site