Roles and subjects
Lecturer in Italian
Professor Elena Lombardi is Lecturer in Italian at Jesus College and a Fellow of Balliol College.
Laurea (Pavia), PhD (New York)
Undergraduate degree: Laurea in Lettere, University of Pavia, with a thesis on the Romantic Poet Ugo Foscolo.
PhD: New York University, with a dissertation on Dante and the medieval theory of language.
I was Assistant Professor in Italian Studies at McGill University (Montreal, Canada, 2000-2005) and Senior Lecturer in the School of Modern Languages at the University of Bristol (2006-12).
Dante, Early Italian Poetry, Medieval Studies.
Concepts of language and desire in the Middle Ages; medieval poetics; ideas of the book in medieval times; the Renaissance epic-chivalric poem.
- Imagining the Woman Reader in the Age of Dante. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2018.
- The Wings of the Doves. Love and Desire in the Dante and Medieval Culture. Montreal: McGill Queens University Press, 2012.
- The Syntax of Desire. Language and Love in Augustine, the Modistae, Dante. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2007.
Subject notes for courses taught at Jesus College:
- Classics and Modern Languages
- English and Modern Languages
- European and Middle Eastern Languages
- History and Modern Languages
- Modern Languages
- Modern Languages and Linguistics
- Philosophy and Modern Languages
See also Faculty of Modern Languages (Italian) website.